Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Working in Africa, Part II

Yesterday was a good day. The morning started with me trying again to make stretcher bars out of some crap wood I bought. The saw was dull, the nails too thick, the wood split, and it occurred to me that I don’t have to stay here. I decided I’d call Air France, change my ticket, stop wasting my time, go home and be happy. As I was daydreaming, one of the local guys, Boris, came by. We had played soccer on the beach together last week, so I didn’t mind him hovering around for a bit. He observed my efforts with concern, and politely told me that he was a carpenter. I’ve learned to doubt people here, but I had nothing to lose and long story short, he went home to get a set of real tools and spent the next ten hours, without break, making four great, sturdy canvas stretchers. He planed the rough wood down, even sanded the stretcher bars which was technically unnecessary but absolutely admirable. He was happy to have work on a day without work, and I was thrilled to be moving forward.

While Boris was working I started a portrait of another guy I know here, Matthias, one of the many underemployed guides. There are too-few tourists to give everyone work, but Matthias always has the air of being busy, things to do, deals to arrange. He’s a sharp dresser and an interesting character, and for the first time here I felt myself painting smoothly, at times effortlessly. I got a good start, and he’s coming again tomorrow to model. I’ve also been working on a larger, colourful tropical garden landscape, and another portrait, and now with four new canvasses waiting for action (I spent today stretching and priming them) I feel I’m finally on my way.

While I was painting Matthias, two enormously tall Norwegian reporters came by. They were working on a story about democracy in Benin (intending to write about a successful African democracy, they found the political situation a bit more complicated) and were in Grand Popo for something or other, and decided to stop by Villa Karo. It was fun to speak Norwegian again and meet someone so randomly, and it never hurts to give a reporter your web site.

I also had a talk with Juha yesterday, he’s an old ‘Africa hand’ and the founder of Villa Karo, and he told me that most resident artists here over the years have taken a long time to adjust, and they don’t necessarily make much work at all. Sometimes the work comes later, after leaving Africa and remembering it from a distance. So that was encouraging, and perhaps it’s ok that it takes a good three weeks to adjust, learn the pace and the routine and the landscape. I know from other times in my life when I’ve moved to a new place, or even to a new studio in the same city, that it takes time to learn things and find a new work rhythm. Perhaps a little self-compassion would be in order.

After three weeks here, existing is no longer exhausting. I have figured out many of the little-but-important things, like where to get food and how to plan meals so I’m not hungry, and how the phone and internet systems work (or sometimes work). I’ve learned, like the locals do, to take long siestas and walk slowly (in the States, I routinely pass people like being a pedestrian is some kind of sport). I’ve learned to be less ambitious. I’ve learned more about the culture, and have gotten to know both local people and Villa Karo people better (many in a jovial good-to-see-you kind of way, but also a few deeper connections). My French is better, if still perfectly terrible, so I can understand people I want to talk to, and not understand those I don’t want to talk to. I’ve found places where I feel good painting, and I’ve remembered how to paint again.

Juha went back to Finland today, and there was a formal goodbye dinner for him yesterday evening. As the sun set and the day came to a close, Boris was still hammering in the background while I sat at a long table, eating a rare good meal, drinking too much wine, enjoying good company and a cool breeze, and looking forward to three more weeks in Africa.

No comments: