Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Working in Africa, Part I

(From a few days ago)

It’s hot and sticky here, everything is slow and difficult and inefficient, there’s no studio space, there’s no privacy, I have no energy, and just trying to paint here is exhausting. If I return to Africa, it will be to visit and travel and see, and not to work because working here seems impossible.

I met some Peace Corps volunteers at a bar last week – they had worked in neighbouring Burkina Faso for the last 15 months with 9 to go, and they also felt it was impossible to get things done. People show up hours late, the food is unfamiliar and irregular, the heat wears you down, and just nothing really works. Every other “yovo” (white person in Mina, the local language, and a word you hear incessantly) I meet here feels the same way, and maybe that’s ok. Africa isn’t meant for yovos: It’s its own special place with its own schedule and purpose.

Little things in Africa take a lot of time. For example, it’s a three-mile walk to the internet café. That’s three hot, slow miles, made slower by the constant stop-and-greet (most people don’t work as much here as they do in the States and spend lots of time talking). At this point I’ve met a lot of people, so the stop-and-greet adds a solid half-hour to the day if I’m feeling chatty. (It’s also important to remember people’s names; I can’t tell you how many people I’ve offended by forgetting their names or forgetting that I had previously met them at all, especially in the first week).

At the internet place, the people are grumpy and the connection is slow, so catching up on a few emails can take over an hour. The keyboard is French, which means the a,m,z,q, w, period, comma, and a few other keys are in different places, so typing takes longer. At this point at least four hours have gone by since you left the house, and you realize you’re incredibly hungry. You go to a cheap restaurant to order some food, and it comes an hour later if you’re lucky, two hours later if you’re not, even if you’re the only customer there. People show up to chit-chat, on your way home you stop to buy some things, and when you get home it’s late, you’re hot and exhausted and think that tomorrow, yes tomorrow you’ll get some work done.

Strangely, there’s no studio space at Villa Karo. Before I left I just assumed that an artist residency would have studio space, but not so. Apparently they often host writers and composers and others who need little more than a desk, so the 'studio' is an open-air concrete patio with turquoise walls and a straw mat for a roof. There’s no privacy from curious villagers, and when it rains, as it has for the last two days, there’s no chance of working at all.

It took days to find wood, nails, a hammer and a saw to make stretcher bars for canvasses, and the quality of all the above was abysmal. The laundry lady has had all my clothes except what I’m wearing for the last three days. My mosquito net couldn’t quite tuck under my mattress, which was fine until a few nights ago a plague of mosquitoes appeared and easily breached the gap, and we fought until the net was covered in blood smears (after the one day I forgot to take my malaria meds). Buying groceries can take hours, and yet if you neglect that most basic of chores, you grow hungry and ever-more lethargic. It’s not that I need a perfect set-up to work, just that when I’m already sapped of energy, the little problems seem big, and after a hundred little problems I want to give up.

So, don’t expect to see a whole lot of great paintings when I come home. Just to exist and survive in Africa seems good enough. I’ll write something more positive next time.

No comments: